How To Enjoy Thanksgiving on WW
I have designed this guide to sticking to weight watchers for Thanksgiving to help you navigate the dinner table for those following all of the myWW plans. There is always an abundance of food on the table loaded with carbs, fats and dishes that may not be the healthiest choices. I'm here to help you get through a weight watcher friendly Thanksgiving dinner with recipes and resources that the whole family will enjoy. **Now Updated for WW Personal Points!**
How Can I Navigate Thanksgiving on WW PersonalPoints?
I know for my family, our Thanksgiving table has a wide variety of dishes including mashed potatoes, candied yams, sweet potato casserole, yeast rolls, turkey, ham, lasagna… Shall I go on?
Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate everything you are thankful for. However, it does not need to derail the progress you are making getting healthier! MyWW is all about portion control instead of restricting what foods you can and can not eat. Enjoy the holiday and track your points. In our case, since my husband and I are following a low carb lifestyle, we are going to focus more on transforming traditional dishes into low carb versions that are still packed with flavor.
How can I make traditional Thanksgiving dishes healthier?
My grandmother tends to go heavy-handed with cream, butter and oils in her recipes. This leads to higher fat content and ultimately, higher point values. There are a few simple swaps that you can make to lighten up these dishes that will help you stay on track without sacrificing taste.
- Nature's Own has a wonderful loaf of bread that contains double the fiber of regular white bread that you can swap for regular bread.
- You can substitute low-sodium chicken broth for the butter in your stuffing.
- Before you make gravy, take a slotted spoon and skim the fat off of the turkey drippings.
- Trade Green Bean Casserole for Roasted Green Bean Almondine or maple balsamic brussel sprouts.
- When making mashed potatoes, swap out the heavy cream, butter or mayonnaise for a non-fat, plain Greek yogurt.
- If potatoes are not a zero point food for you, try making Roasted Cauliflower Mash!
- Instead of making a full turkey, roast a boneless, skinless turkey breast.
How To Cook A Turkey In The Instant Pot
Save yourself a lot of time and frustration by cooking your turkey in the instant pot this year! Your turkey will stay moist and be ready to eat in less than an hour. One of the best recipes I have found for Instant Pot Turkey is from Recipesfromapantry I adapted some of her ingredients to be lower in points, but the concept remains the same. (Just remember to save some of the leftovers to make some delicious Turkey Marsala Soup the day after!)
- Start with a 2.5-3 lb boneless turkey breast.
- In a small bowl, combine 1.5 tbsp rosemary, 1 tbsp thyme, 1 tbsp cilantro or coriander, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tsp salt.
- Spray “I can't believe it's not butter spray under the skin of the turkey and rub the seasoning blend in. Spray another layer of the butter spray on the skin as well.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock to the Instant Pot insert.
- Add the trivet to the Instant Pot and then place the turkey breast on top of it with the skin side up.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn valve so it would seal.
- Set to manual/high pressure for 35 mins and allow it to naturally release all of the pressure.
- At this point, you can put it in your oven broiler for 8-10 minutes to crisp up the skin with another layer of butter spray.
What Are Your Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Recipes for Appetizers?
A fruit and veggie tray is always a great route to go as it's all zero points! If you must indulge in little bites, just be careful to monitor your points and don't overdo on your caloric intake.
- Turkish Carrot Dip
- Oven Baked Beet Chips
(serve this with the carrot dip!)
- Honey Dijon White Bean Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
- Butternut Squash Curry
- Cauliflower Ceviche
- Low Point Garlic Hummus
- Roasted Apple and Cauliflower Mash with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Recipe Highlight Lightened Up Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
FrekiFitWold on Youtube is one of my favorite Youtubers. Along with several others, he posted a video recently to showcase a lightened-up version of Macaroni and Cheese. Under normal circumstances, you may turn down this dish because of how many points would be in the pasta, cream and cheese, but with the new PersonalPoints plan, it may be lower in points than you would think!
- 2 cups Whole Grain Elbow Noodles
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond milk
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Shredded Gouda
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt and Pepper to taste
This recipe serves 6 people and is just as creamy, gooey and delicious as traditional macaroni and cheese without the guilt!
What Are Your Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Side Dishes?
I think weight watchers thanksgiving side dishes should shine just as much as the main courses. After all, they make up the bulk of the plate! When you start building your meal, making small adjustments to your recipes can make the difference in high points vs low points. They will still taste amazing! Here are my favorites:
- Broccoli Stir Fry
- Brussels Sprouts with Maple Balsamic Glaze
- Roasted Apple and Cauliflower Mash with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Roasted Artichoke and Mozzarella Salad
- Crispy Green Bean “Fries”
- Baked Asparagus
- Kale Salad with Quinoa and Cranberries
- Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
What Are The Best Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes?
My personal favorite that I'll be making this year is Banana Cream Frozen Yogurt. Once you realize just how easy and quick this dessert is to put together, you may find yourself making it quite often!
How Many Points Are In This Recipe?
With the new PersonalPoints Plan, points can vary for each individual person based on their unique list of zero point foods. Points can also vary with different brands. Please use your recipe maker to determine your exact points.
Are You on WW Connect?
Find me on WW Connect @Sassycooking_Alyssa to see my full recipe list!
Maple Walnut Banana Cream Frozen Yogurt Recipe
The original recipe called for 6 oz of cream cheese but even when using a light version, the points can sneak up on you. Instead, I substituted 1/2 cup of Halo Top Vanilla Bean light ice cream to get the right consistency but you can also just double the amount of bananas you use!
- 1/2 cup non-fat,plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 Tbsp imitation Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Walden Farms Maple Walnut Syrup
- 1/2 cup Halo Top Vanilla Bean Light Ice Cream
- Peel and slice the bananas into thin pieces and freeze in a ziploc bag.
- Once the bananas are frozen, add them to a food processor or blender with the yogurt, Halo Top and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth.
- As it is blending, slowly incorporate the syrup.
- You can serve immediately for a milkshake consistency or freeze for a minimum of 4 hours in a tightly sealed container to firm up.
Feel free to add your favorite zero point toppings like sugar-free chocolate syrup or fresh fruit!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Other Dessert Options:
- Boozy Apple Pie & Cinnamon Infused Bourbon (2 points on all plans)
- Healthy Banana Bread (5 points on Green, 3 Points on Blue and Purple)
- Apple Pie Pinwheels (3 Points on Green, 2 points on Blue or Purple)
- The WW Recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash You Need This Holiday Season
- 15 Minute Easy Pan Seared Grouper with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Easy Recipe For Citrus Maple Glazed Pork Chops
- Delicious! Crunchy Crusted Stuffed Salmon
- Broiled Creme Brulee: A Healthy & Delicious Dessert
- Magnificent Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
Do you have another recipe I should include on this list? Tell me all about it!
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Snazzy Weekly Wellness Planner with Daily/Weekly Trackers, Menu Planning, Fitness Tracker and more!
What are the Best Tools to Conquer Emotional Eating?
I have found that one of the best tools to conquer emotional eating is to have accountability for my actions. This course includes a workbook with over 25 pages to learn all aspects of why you are eating the way you are, how to conquer emotional eating and tools and resources to use along the way. When you purchase this course, you also get access to an online support group and emails every 3 days for at least a month for additional support!
For A Limited Time: Use Code “SASSY” to Save $10!
That's right!! Now for only $27 You Can Jumpstart Your Way To Conquer Your Emotional Eating For Good!