Indulging in a slice of warm, spiced apple pie is one of life's simple pleasures. But if you're watching your waistline, it can be a tricky treat to navigate. That's why we've created a healthier version that doesn't skimp on flavor or satisfaction. Our low-fat, low-sugar apple pie with a whole wheat crust will leave you feeling guilt-free and completely satisfied.
Weight Watcher Friendly Apple Pie Recipe
Get ready to indulge in a delicious and healthier version of the classic Apple Pie! Our recipe uses a whole wheat and mashed banana crust, giving it a unique and flavorful twist. Plus, we've swapped out traditional honey for my favorite, Walden Farms Maple Walnut Syrup in the filling to reduce the calories and sugar content. You'll love the sweet and tangy taste of the apples, mixed with the warm and comforting spices of cinnamon and nutmeg. This Apple Pie is the perfect dessert to enjoy with friends and family, guilt-free!
Health Benefits of Apple Pie
Not only is our Apple Pie delicious, but it's also healthy! The whole wheat flour used in the crust provides more fiber and nutrients than traditional all-purpose flour, and apples are packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
Fun Facts About the Recipe
The secret to this crust is using MASHED BANANA instead of the butter. Not only does it drastically reduce the points, but it gives the crust a unique and unexpected flavor.
Our Apple Pie is delicious on its own, but it's even better with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. You can freeze cool whip for a low point alternative as well. Serve it up warm and enjoy the sweet, tangy goodness!
Here are some other serving suggestions that are low in fat and sugar:
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt instead of whipped cream.
- Serve with a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt or sorbet.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of cinnamon and serve with a side of fresh fruit.
- Top with a small handful of chopped nuts, such as almonds or walnuts, for added crunch and healthy fats.
- Serve with a small glass of unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk alternative.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Other Low Point Desserts
When you're craving something sweet, you do have options!
Broiled Creme Brulee
Berry Cheesecake Parfait
How Many Points Are In This Recipe?
With the new Weight Watchers Plan, points can vary for diabetics. Points can also vary with different brands. Please use your recipe maker to determine your exact points.
Are You on WW Connect?
Find me on WW Connect @Sassycooking_Alyssa to see my full recipe list!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed bananas (about 1 medium-sized banana)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
Pie Crust Filling
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (about 6 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup Walden Farms Maple Walnut Syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Whole Wheat Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the mashed bananas to the bowl and mix them into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, stirring the mixture with a fork after each addition. Stop adding water once the dough starts to come together and form a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it a few times until it's smooth and pliable.
- Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before using it in your recipe.
Pie Crust Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with Pyure Sugar-Free Honey and lemon juice until well coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the apples and toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- Pour the apple mixture into a 9-inch pie crust.
- Top the pie with the second crust and crimp the edges to seal.
- Cut several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Using mashed bananas instead of oil or butter in the crust will lower the fat content and add natural sweetness to the crust. Keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different from a traditional pie crust, but it should still be delicious and healthy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 208mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 6gSugar 15gProtein 5g
*This is an automatic calculation by a third party app*
- Can You Drink Coffee with Weight Watchers?
- Less Processed, More Progress: Simple Swaps for Whole, Nutritious Foods
- Fall In Love With These Autumn Roasted Vegetables
- Weight Watchers Friendly Vichyssoise Soup
- Healthy Salmon Sushi Bake
- Weight Watchers Breakfast Recipes: Start Your Day Right!
What are the Best Tools to Conquer Emotional Eating?
Are you looking to Conquer Emotional Eating For Good? Start with my FREE printable workbook! With pages to help you learn your triggers and work through them, with tips and advice to move past emotional eating, the workbook is the perfect place to get started!