Easy Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta
Looking for a new pasta recipe? Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta is where it's at! This dish is perfect for those who want to eat healthy and have a fun time in the kitchen. It’s also great if you don’t like cooking because it only takes about 25 minutes! And, did I mention that it tastes delicious?
Easy Recipe For Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta
You can serve this as an appetizer or main course. Either way, your guests will love this dish. Plus, they won't even know how nutritious it is! The shrimp provides protein while the broccoli offers vitamins A and C. Pasta does have carbs which are essential for energy production and brain function, but if you use whole wheat pasta, it's even better for you. If you're looking for the perfect dish to bring to a pot luck style meal, this is it.
What kind of pasta should I use?
The best part of all is that you can make this with whatever type of pasta you prefer – penne, fusilli, rotini or bowtie noodles work well too! If gluten isn't your thing then try Quinoa Pasta or Chickpea Pasta instead. I've recommended a few of my favorites below.
Can I substitute something else for honey in this recipe?
While honey has it's own nutritional benefits, (especially if it's locally sourced honey!) I understand the concern of the sugar content. While there's only 2 tbsp, as a diabetic on myWW, I often substitute alternative sweeteners. For this recipe, I would recommend using Pyure Harmless Hunny. It's sugar-free and low carb, keto-friendly and made from organic stevia. It may not have the same health benefits of local honey, it is the perfect alternative to honey in recipes like this one.
Is this recipe MyWW Friendly?
*Points were accurate at the time of posting, but nutrition can vary from brand to brand.
Consult your app to ensure accuracy for yourself.*
Save This Recipe For Later!
Make some Shrimp Penne Pasta today by following my easy instructions below! You can even pin it to your Pinterest for later.
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 Tbsp honey, preferably local
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ ts[ crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 12-oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 16-oz. box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail removed
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest, preferably organic
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, two tablespoons lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Combine broccoli and red onion in a large bowl and pour two-thirds of the lemony olive oil mixture on top. Toss until vegetables are evenly coated before spreading into a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Do not overcrowd.
- Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp tender and starting to brown on the edges.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the pasta according to package directions in generously salted water. When pasta is finished cooking, reserve one-half cup of the cooking liquid and set aside. Drain and rinse the pasta, then return to the pot. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Just before the vegetables are removed from the oven, toss the shrimp with the remaining olive oil mixture in the same mixing bowl used earlier. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and set aside.
- After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the vegetables with a spatula. Add the seasoned shrimp to the baking sheet and carefully spread the shrimp and vegetables into a single layer without overcrowding.
- Return to oven and roast for another 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through and opaque. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and pour the roasted shrimp and vegetables into the pot with the cooked pasta. Add the remaining lemon juice, lemon zest, half the Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and the reserved cooking liquid. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Snazzy Weekly Wellness Planner with Daily/Weekly Trackers, Menu Planning, Fitness Tracker and more!