Discover the latest updates and changes to Weight Watchers for diabetes in 2023. This program incorporates the use of the FreeStyle Libre 2 continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system by Abbott, allowing users to track their glucose levels and gain personal insights into their habits. Learn about the benefits, features, and how Weight Watchers can help you manage your weight and diabetes effectively.
Weight Watchers For Diabetes and Insulin Resistance: How and Why It Works
Managing weight and diabetes can be a challenging journey, but with the right tools and support, it becomes much more manageable. Weight Watchers, a renowned program for weight loss and healthy living, has made significant changes to tailor their approach specifically for individuals with diabetes. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the updates to the Weight Watchers program, the benefits it offers for diabetics, and popular food options like Weight Watchers oatmeal, eggs, and pancakes that can enhance your meal plan. Let's dive in and discover how Weight Watchers can empower you on your journey towards better health.
Table of Contents
How Does Weight Watchers Work With Diabetes?
Diabetes and insulin resistance can be a huge health concern, but there is a lot of confusion about how to best manage them. Recently, the new Weight Watchers Plan was announced with the goal of addressing both diabetes and insulin resistance. One of the first questions is asking about your diagnosis, this leads to a plan that provides appropriate portions and includes an exercise regimen designed to help people with diabetes and insulin resistance. The app allows you to track your food intake for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks each day. It also has a healthy mix of high-quality proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, and vitamins and minerals. It also will take into account your food preferences to truly suit your needs.
Weight Watchers for Diabetics: A Holistic Approach to Health
Weight Watchers has recognized the unique needs of individuals with diabetes and has developed a specialized program that focuses on weight management, healthy eating, and blood sugar control. The Weight Watchers Diabetes-Tailored Plan combines the proven weight loss strategies of the original program with additional tools and resources designed to support those living with diabetes.
Weight Watchers Points for Diabetics: Balancing Nutrition and Blood Sugar Control
One of the key aspects of the Weight Watchers program is the concept of “points.” These points help individuals make healthier food choices by assigning values based on nutritional content. The Weight Watchers points system is equally beneficial for individuals with diabetes as it encourages balanced nutrition and portion control.
By following the Weight Watchers Diabetes-Tailored Plan, individuals with diabetes can make informed decisions about their food choices, considering both the point value and the impact on blood sugar levels. This approach promotes a healthy and sustainable eating pattern while allowing flexibility and enjoyment in meals.
Changes to Weight Watchers for Diabetics 2023: Enhancing the Program
Weight Watchers has continually evolved to meet the needs of its members, and the Diabetes-Tailored Plan is no exception. Recent updates to the program have made it even more effective and user-friendly for individuals with diabetes. Here are some notable changes:
- Integration with CGM Systems: WeightWatchers has partnered with Abbott to create a connected experience for individuals with diabetes. By sharing key glucose data from the FreeStyle Libre 2 CGM system in the WW app, users can unlock a new level of support and gain personal insights into their glucose patterns.
- Expanded Food Database: The Weight Watchers app and website now offer an expanded food database that includes a wide range of diabetic-friendly options. This makes it easier for individuals to find and track foods that align with their dietary needs.
- Enhanced Support: The Weight Watchers program provides a strong support system for individuals with diabetes. Alongside access to expert coaches and a vibrant community, members can engage in diabetes-specific workshops and discussions to address their unique challenges and concerns.
- Meal Planning Made Easy: Weight Watchers offers personalized meal planning tools, including recipes and meal ideas, to simplify the process of creating balanced and diabetes-friendly meals. Members can explore options like Weight Watchers oatmeal, eggs, and pancakes to diversify their menus while staying within their points range.
- Improved Tracking and Progress Monitoring: The Weight Watchers app offers features that allow members to track not only their weight but also their blood sugar levels, physical activity, and nutritional intake. This comprehensive tracking system helps individuals monitor their progress and make adjustments as needed.
- Education and Resources: Weight Watchers provides educational resources to help individuals with diabetes better understand their condition and make informed choices. This empowers them to take control of their health and implement sustainable lifestyle changes.
- Personal Insights and Tracking Progress: With the WeightWatchers Diabetes-Tailored Plan, users can note readings outside of the target glucose range and identify the meals and activities that may have contributed to these readings. This feature allows individuals to better understand how their choices impact their glucose levels. Users can also view their weight and glucose trends over time, establishing a connection between weight loss and glucose control.
- Reaching Goals with the WW Diabetes-Tailored Plan: The WW Diabetes-Tailored Plan has been proven to help individuals lose weight and lower their A1C levels. By following this plan, which includes a customized nutrition plan, a budget, and a ZeroPoint food list, users can make healthier choices and achieve their weight and diabetes management goals.
- Benefits of Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM): CGM technology, such as the FreeStyle Libre 2 system, offers real-time glucose readings and feedback on glucose levels and trends. Users can check their glucose levels with a painless scan instead of fingersticks, uncover hidden glucose patterns, reduce time spent in hypoglycemia, and improve overall glucose control. The integration of CGM technology in the WW app provides a comprehensive view of glucose levels in relation to meals and activities.
- Joining the Diabetes-Tailored Plan: To join the Diabetes-Tailored Plan, individuals need to sign up for the WW app and indicate that they are living with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. They will then receive a customized nutrition plan and a budget tailored to their specific needs.
- Accessing the WW x Abbott Connected Experience: To connect the FreeStyle Libre 2 CGM system with the WW app, users can follow a simple process within the app's settings. By connecting their CGM device, users can access the glucose card, time-in-range data, and the event log, which provides insights into glucose readings outside the target range.
- Program Availability and Recommendations: The WW x Abbott connected experience is currently available for members who have specified that they are living with diabetes and have connected a FreeStyle Libre 2 system within the WW app. It is important to note that the program is not a replacement for medical care, and individuals should continue to follow their healthcare provider's recommendations for diabetes management.
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Starter Guide for Emotionally Healthy Eating!
How Does Controlling Carbs Help Manage Diabetes?
While carbohydrates often have fewer calories than fat, it does cause blood sugar levels to increase more. When you obtain most of your carbs from healthy fruits and vegetables, your blood sugar will remain stable. However, white flour, refined carbs, white rice, and sugary foods will raise and drop your blood sugar in waves.
This is one reason why diets like Keto and Atkins work well for those with diabetes. Restricting carbs forces your body to release less insulin. With less insulin, your body stores less fat resulting in weight loss.
Carb Addiction and Weight Loss
If you are anything like me, you may have an underlying addiction to carbs without realizing it. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, fast-digesting carbs trigger responses in the same regions of the brain that respond to drugs and addiction. Food is another way of satisfying the pleasure centers in the brain, even when you don't realize you are eating pleasurable foods.
Use A Meal Subscription Kit To Jumpstart Your Weight Watchers Journey
I don't know about you, but I spend a lot of time cooking and trying new recipes, but sometimes we get stuck in a rut of the same meals and flavors. With Home Chef, it forces me to look at new recipes that I probably wouldn't have chosen on my own. The best part? They have customizable options for proteins to make sure that it's something you like and will stay within your points! They also have 15 minute meal kits, oven-ready meals and more to keep it simple!
Using Weight Watchers Plan and Zero Point Foods
When you have diabetes, you should focus on eating good, complex carbs.
- Fresh Berries
- Seeds/Whole Grains
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Whole Grain Oats
However, these should still be consumed in moderation. That's where your customized Zero Point Foods come in to play.
Make Micro Changes for Long Term Health
If you try to make too many changes at once, it can be overwhelming to maintain. In order to achieve long-term success, start by making one small change at a time. If you normally drink 2 cans of soda with dinner, cut back to one or switch to a zero sugar alternative. You can also swap white bread or regular pasta for a whole grain variety instead.
Here are some great recipes for vegetable-focused dishes
Are you a diabetic? What tips can you share for living with diabetes and following a healthy diet?
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Starter Guide for Emotionally Healthy Eating!
Check Out These Other Weight Watcher Friendly Recipes:
- 13+ Recipes for Zucchini
- How To Enjoy Pizza on Weight Watchers
- Easy Broccoli Stir Fry
- Using Meal Prep for Weight Watchers
- Weight Watcher Low Carb Reuben Casserole
- Low Carb Egg Roll In A Bowl