Everyone needs a recipe that they can make quickly in their recipe box. This homemade zero point salsa is one of those recipes that is sure to knock the socks off of anyone you bring it to. The best part? It is incredibly simple and can be made in less than 15 minutes.
How To Make The Best Homemade Zero Point Salsa
The key to making the best homemade zero point salsa comes right down to the ingredients. When you are using the freshest produce available, the flavors are going to shine.
What Zero Point Foods Can I Add To Salsa?
One of the creative aspects of salsa is that you can add a variety of fruits and vegetables to your salsa to change the flavor. Depending on which of the myWW plans you are following, there are a number of delicious ingredients you can add. Below, I listed my favorite zero point foods to add to salsa for each of the zero point categories.
Zero Point Non Starchy Veggies
- Roasted Eggplant
- Shaved Fennel
Zero Point Stachy Veggies
Zero Point Fruits
- Fresh Apricots
Herbs and Spices:
- Roasted Garlic
Zero Point Beans
- Black Beans
- Lima Beans
- Refried Beans
- Chick Peas
Zero Point Whole Grains
- Red Quinoa
- Whole-wheat couscous
What If I Don't Like Cilantro?
I'll be the first to admit that I really don't like the taste of cilantro, as I am one of those “super tasters” that perceive it to have a soap flavor. So for me, I substitute for a different herb based on the recipe that I'm making. In a salsa, I would substitute parsley for a basic salsa used for dipping, cumin for a salsa that I'll be cooking with, or mint for a fruity salsa. Here's how:
In this instance, simply chop up the parsley just like the cilantro and add a bit of lemon juice to the mixture to give the citrus notes that cilantro typically adds to the recipe.
If you are using this salsa along with cooking Mexican cuisine, cumin could be just the spice you are looking for as a substitute for cilantro.
Mint is one of the herbs that brightens up fruity flavors. If you add fruit such as papaya, mango, pineapple or watermelon to your salsa, mint would be the substitute for cilantro that you are looking for.
What Can I Use As A Substitute for Chips?
Veggie chips are a great alternative to use for dips and salsas. You can try these delicious beet chips, available on the Thrive Market. (Thrive Market is offering a trial for 30-day membership for FREE, totally worth it!)
What Other Recipes Can I Make With This Salsa?
There are a number of recipes out there that call for salsa, my Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps are a perfect example. You can set it up like a regular taco night at home and the whole family gets a healthy and delicious meal! Speaking of tacos, another great idea is my Shrimp Taco Bowl under my various lunch in a bowl recipes or as a side dish with the veggie chips I mentioned above with an avocado tuna salad!
How Do I Make A Zero Point Salsa?
Check out the recipe below! You can print it now to make it later, share it with a friend or pin it to your Pinterest for later!
How Many Points Are In This Recipe?
With the new PersonalPoints Plan, points can vary for each individual person based on their unique list of zero point foods. Points can also vary with different brands. Please use your recipe maker to determine your exact points.
Are You on WW Connect?
Find me on WW Connect @Sassycooking_Alyssa to see my full recipe list!
- 2 lbs Fresh Tomatoes, divided
- ½ large Jalapeno, divided
- ½ large White Onion, divided
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro, divided
- 3 large Garlic Cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- Split the tomatoes, jalapeno, onion and cilantro into two equal parts.
- In a high powered blender or food processor, add one part along with the garlic. Sprinkle with sea salt and pulse until thoroughly combined but not liquified and pour into a bowl.
- Finely dice the remaining ingredients and add to the bowl.
- Add the lime juice to the bowl and stir to combine. You may add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator overnight.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Starter Guide for Emotionally Healthy Eating!
- The Easiest and Best Chicken Crust Pizza Recipe
- Best Recipe for Homemade Zero Point Pasta Sauce
- Changes to Weight Watchers for November 2022
- Why You Should Be Using Meal Subscription Kits for Healthy Eating
- Simple Substitutions To Request at Restaurants for Healthier Eating
- Yummy Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast: Easy Dinner!