This is definitely a good time to make this orange pomegranate salad. In this recipe, I've used oranges that are in their prime for a hint of sweetness and texture. Bright red pomegranate arils explode with color and juicy goodness; creamy goat cheese, avocado, and pecans are irresistibly inviting; and a little drizzle of orange champagne vinaigrette will have you licking your plate clean!
Orange Pomegranate Salad with Orange Champagne Vinaigrette
Every time I make this salad it leaves me wanting more. The recipe makes 4 servings but next time I am doubling so I can eat the next day. This salad is perfect for that family picnic or to take over to the family dinner party (we know we have to work hard to impress them- this did the job).
Reasons You Will Love This
The colors alone of this salad are so pretty that you can almost taste the sweetness and tang just by looking at it. By the way the dressing itself is fantastic to keep in the fridge to use over other salads or drizzle over your pork roast before popping it in the oven. Once you try this you will want to make it again. I know I did.
What Do I Need To Make Orange Pomegranate Salad?
Looking for a shopping list to make this recipe? Here’s everything you’ll need to not only make the salad, but also the dressing that goes with it.
- Mixed salad greens
- Red onion, sliced thin
- Goat Cheese
- Pecan Halves
How Do I Make The Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette?
- Citrus champagne vinegar
- Honey, preferably local
- Dijon mustard
- Extra virgin olive oil
How Can I Change This Recipe Up?
One of the best parts of this recipe before they even start eating is how versatile this salad is. You can have a big salad for lunch or pair it with the main dish. Having chopped bell peppers or celery can be a great addition to add additional veggies and flavors to the dish.
What Should I Serve This Salad With?
If you are looking to serve the salad as a main dish, you can top it with chopped grilled chicken or blackened salmon for added protein. In that case, you wouldn’t even need side dishes except for perhaps a nice crusty piece of bread. If you’re serving this as a side dish, it would pair well with my citrus maple pork chops or citrus carrot soup.
What Other Ways Can I Use The Dressing?
The citrus champagne vinaigrette has such a pop of flavor, it would make a fantastic marinade before pan frying or baking. Additionally, simply drizzled over either chicken, fish or pork on the grill will highlight the smokey flavors of the meat and brighten it up with the acidity and sweetness.
Orange Pomegranate Salad FAQ:
Is orange and pomegranate a good combination?
Yes, orange and pomegranate make a tasty combination. These two fruits are the ultimate in pairing; the sweet and tangy go together so well. Besides the flavor benefits, it’s the ultimate punch of vitamin C to keep you healthy as well.
Can you use frozen pomegranate seeds in salad?
Yes, you can use frozen pomegranate seeds in salad. Fresh or frozen works great in this recipe.
How Do You Peel a Pomegranate?
There are several ways to peel a pomegranate. Start out by tapping or shaking up your pomegranate to loosen the seeds. Then you can cut the top and bottom off then score from top to bottom 6 or 8 times then peel. At that time you can separate into pieces to get the seeds out. You can also core the top of the pomegranate and the bottom then section, that works almost the same way.
Does pomegranate juice help with weight loss?
Pomegranate juice can help you shed those extra pounds. It's loaded with antioxidants, which boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories. In fact healthiest fruit in the world, as reported by this article from CBS News.
Does Pomegranate Juice help with Gout?
Pomegranate juice can aide in controlling uric acid levels which can help relieve swollen and painful joints for those that have gout.
What is the Best Substitute for Goat Cheese?
Feta cheese crumbles work great to substitute for goat cheese when using for salads. There are vegan cheeses that you can use to substitute for goat cheese if you are interested. These are made from coconut milk and or almond milk.
What is the Best Substitute for Pecans?
If you don’t like pecans or if you have an allergy to nuts, there are alternatives. Substitute sunflower seeds to add that nutty flavor and crunch instead. Sunflower seeds are seeds and not in the nut family. In case of nut allergies check your labels for ingredients.
How Many Points Are In This Recipe?
With the new PersonalPoints Plan, points can vary for each individual person based on their unique list of zero point foods. Points can also vary with different brands. Please use your recipe maker to determine your exact points.
Are You on WW Connect?
Find me on WW Connect @Sassycooking_Alyssa to see my full recipe list!
How Do I Make The Orange Pomegranate Salad?
- ¼ c. citrus champagne vinegar*
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 T. honey, preferably local
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. orange zest, preferably organic
- ¼ c. orange juice, freshly squeezed (approximately 1 large orange)
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 6 c. mixed salad greens
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 large orange, sliced, peeled, and separated into bite-sized sections
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ c. pecan halves
- Make the dressing first. You can do this in a food processor or with a blender.
- Add all ingredients except the virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to start. Blend this on high if using a food processor or blender. This needs to be blended until it looks smooth.
- Then pour in the olive oil slowly and blend some more. If you happen to have a pour spout or a spot in the top of your blender or food processor to add ingredients, use this to add the olive oil slowly.
- Then season to take. I like a bit more pepper than salt in mine but this is to taste. Put this in your serving container.
- Put in the refrigerator while making the salad.
- Now is the fun part. Seeding the pomegranate. The best way is to slice the top and the bottom off the fruit. Then you can cut down in sections through the skin from top to bottom. When you are done scoring you can pull the peel away from each section, then pull it apart. Once you have it pulled into sections you can divide the arils from the pith. Set these aside in a small bowl. I try to keep the juice with it if possible.
- Cut your avocado in half. Take the pit out then use a spoon to scoop out the avocado. Cut this in small bite size chunks. Cover with lemon juice so it does not turn brown.
- Put your mixed greens (lettuce, arugula, mustard greens, iceberg - whatever you are choosing to use) in a large salad serving bowl.
- Top it with your thinly sliced red onion, orange sections, avocado and pomegranate arils. Then put on the goat cheese. Last ingredient is the chopped pecans which are optional.
- Drizzle with dressing and leave that dressing out in case someone wants to add more.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 613Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 7mgSodium 306mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 15gSugar 32gProtein 11g
*This is an automatic calculation by a third party app*
When you need the taste of sunshine, orange pomegranate salad is a wonderful choice. It’s the perfect salad to bring sunshine into the fall season! You can print out the recipe card to keep it handy so you can make it anytime. Let me know in the comments what you think!
Are You Just Getting Started On Weight Watchers?
Sign Up For Our Email List and Get This Starter Guide for Healthy Eating with Daily/Weekly Trackers, Menu Planning, Fitness Tracker, Recipe Ideas and more!
Check Out Some Of My Other Weight Watcher Friendly Recipes:
- Orange Pomegranate Salad with Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette
- Dynamite Sides: Spicy Mango Salsa Recipe
- Best Recipe For Black Bean Tacos for Weight Watchers
- Low Fat Creamed Spinach with Caramelized Onions
- Savory Peach Compote
- The Best Grilled Chipotle Lime Shrimp Recipe Around